Team From The Past - Hartlepool - 1976/1977

Paul Bielby - Forward

As a young boy it was his ambition to play professional football for his fathers favourites Manchester United and as a 17 year old he made his first-team debut for United in the red hot atmosphere of a Manchester derby against City in front of 51,000 at Maine Road. He played for the England youth team winning the European Youth Cup with exciting young players such as Bryan Robson, Glen Hoddle, Ray Wilkins, Alan Curbushley and Peter Barnes.

His progress was halted with injuries and after playing nearly two hundred matches in the lower leagues with Huddersfield and Hartlepool.

He was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours for his services to young people.

Peter Creamer - Defender

Creamer started his career with Middlesborough making 9 appearances before being loaned to York City and then to the Dallas Tornado in the N.A.S.L. in 1975. On his return from North America, he signed with Doncaster Rovers and then onto Hartlepool where he made 63 appearances scoring 3 times. Creamer ended his playing career with Rochdale in 1979 after making 20 starts.

Dave Cunningham - Forward

Winger Dave Cunningham was brought to the club on loan from Southend United late in the 1976/77 season with Pools battling against re-election once more. Cunningham played in 12 of the last 14 games that season as Pools failed to finish above the bottom four. He scored one goal, the winner at Rochdale.

Geoff Davies - Midfield/Forward

Davies began his career with Ellesmere Port Town and Northwich Victoria, before helping Wigan Athletic to win the Northern Premier League title in 1970–71. He joined Football League club Chester in 1972. The next year he transferred to Wrexham, before he moved to the United States to play for the Boston Minutemen in 1975. He moved on to the Chicago Sting the following year, and then returned to England to play for Port Vale and Hartlepool United (on Loan). He spent 1977 in both the States and England, playing for the San Jose Earthquakes, before signing with Wimbledon. He joined the Los Angeles Skyhawks in 1978, and had a brief spell with the San Francisco Fog in 1980. He returned to England in the mid-1980s to play for Northwich Victoria and Caernarfon Town, before emigrating permanently to the United States.

Eddie Edgar - Goalkeeper

Edgar played professionally for Newcastle United, although he made only one appearance for the club in a 4-2 FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Derby County in 1976. In 1976, he signed with Hartlepool United in the Football League Fourth Division. He was loaned to the New York Cosmos of the North America Soccer League to serve as a backup for Shep Messing. In 1980, he went to Canada to play with London City in the National Soccer League. in 2008 he took over the managerial role for London City.

Kevan Elliot - Forward

Striker Kevan Elliott became one of the youngest players to play League football for Pools when he made his debut as a 17-year-old in a 3-0 defeat at Lincoln in 1976. During the next 18 months Elliott played a further 26 times for the first team, scoring just once. On leaving Pools, Elliott played for a number of overseas clubs, including spells in Belgium, Hong Kong and New South Wales. But it was on Australia`s west coast where the striker enjoyed the most success. He gained a reputation as one of the finest strikers the Western Australian State League had seen, finishing top scorer in 1984 and 1986. When the League celebrated its centenary in 2002, Elliott was voted one of the century`s 100 finest players by the West Australian Football Hall of Fame committee.

Barry Endean - Forward

Forward Barry Endean signed for Everton as a youngster but was released by the club. He returned to the professional game six years later with Watford. 

Endean was playing for a pub team, for whom he was a prolific goalscorer. In September of that year, he was spotted playing for an amateur team in a public park and was invited to sign for Watford of the Football League Third Division. He was soon a regular in the club's first team and, in January of the following year, he was part of the Watford team which held Manchester United, the reigning European Cup-holders, to a 1–1 draw in front of over 60,000 fans at Old Trafford in the third round of the 1968–69 FA Cup. He also scored the winning goal for the club against Liverpool in the sixth round of the 1969–70 FA Cup at Vicarage Road on 21 February 1970, covered by BBC Television's Match of the Day. In total he scored 28 goals for the "Hornets" in 77 Football League games, and helped the club gain promotion to the Second Division in the 1968–69 season.

In February 1971, Endean was transferred to Charlton Athletic of the Second Division, where he spent eight months. He made 27 League appearances for the London-based club, but only scored one goal. He dropped back down to the Third Division when he joined Blackburn Rovers in October 1971. He had a more successful spell with the Ewood Park-based club, registering 18 League goals in 75 appearances. In March 1975 he moved to Huddersfield Town, but played only 12 times for the club, scoring a single goal. In late 1975 he was loaned out to Workington of the Fourth Division. In March of the following year he moved on to Hartlepool United

He scored three goals in the run-in to help keep Pools out of relection danger. The following season saw Endean in and out of a Pools side that struggled badly in the league. He managed 15 more starts and added two goals to his tally.

Alan Goad - Defender/Midfield

Started his playing career with Exeter City before moving to Hartlepool in 1967. His first appearance with Pools was in 1967 in a 2-0 win against Brentford. He was a young member of the promotion-winning side in 1967/68. Goad went on to make over 418 appearances scoring 11 goals for the club and is still ranked 5th in games played and still ranked 1st in League Cup Starts with 23. He played in every position and wore every number, except goalkeeper and is the only player in the club's history to be part of 3 name changes at the club (Hartlepools United, Hartlepool FC and Hartlepool United).

Alan was voted 'Player of The Season' in 1975 and was voted as a Player Of The Decade (1970's) along with Bill Green and Billy Ayre during the Club's Centennial Season in 2008. He was awarded a Testimonial Match in 1977 where Pools tied 2-2 with League Champions Nottingham Forest. In his final two seasons with Pools he was Player/Coach under Manager, Billy Horner. His last game with Hartlepool came at the end of the 1978 season where he started in a 2-0 loss to Doncaster Rovers on April 15th.

Alan resumed his playing career in 1980 when he was signed as Player/Coach for the Fraser Valley Allstars in Canada and then played two seasons for the Vancouver Whitecaps NASL Indoor team. He then resumed his coaching career with the Whitecaps Reserves and Youth Teams as well as running the Vancouver Whitecaps Coaching Camps.

Wayne Goldthorpe - Forward

Goldthorpe played for Huddersfield Town, Hartlepool United and Crewe Alexandra. He also had loan spells at Bolton and Arsenal before being forced to retire from football due to ulcerative colitis. He initially came to Hartlepool on loan from Huddersfield in 1976/77 but later signed for Pools in the 1978/79 season. He made 54 appearances for Hartlepool scoring 9 times.

Kevin Johnson - Midfield

Johnson played as a midfielder in the Football League for Sheffield Wednesday, Southend United, Gillingham, Workington, Hartlepool United, Huddersfield Town and Halifax Town, and non-league football for Gateshead, during the 1970s and 1980s.

Johnson had to stints at Hartlepool, the first from 1974 to 1976 where he made 61 appearances scoring 8 goals. He then returned to Hartlepool in 1980 where he made 87 appearances scoring 3 goals.

Paul Luckett - Defender

Luckett initially signed with Coventry City but later moved to Halifax Town after failing to make the first team. He joined Hartlepool on loan in 1976, made his first appearance for Pools against Torquay United in a 1-1 draw and later signed for Pool full-time. In total, Luckett made 19 appearances for Hartlepool with his last being a 6-2 loss to Colchester United.

Tony Maggiore - Defender

Maggoirre made 31 appearances for Pools. He made his first-team debut in November of 1975 in a 4-1 win over Newport and played his last game in April 18th of 1977 in a 2-2 draw against Swansea City. He later went on to finish his career playing for Gateshead.

Eric McMordie - Forward

McMordie was signed by Middlesbrough in September 1964 as an eighteen-year-old. He made his debut in September 1965 against Plymouth Argyle and scored his first goal against Rotherham United two weeks later. McMordie was a first-team regular at Boro for eight seasons, playing 241 games and scoring 22 goals. During his time with Middlesbrough, McMordie represented Northern Ireland on 21 occasions between 1968 and 1972, scoring three goals.

The team narrowly missed out on promotion to the top flight on several occasions. Middlesbrough won promotion to Division one in 1973–74, however McMordie was not a member of the side. During the following 1974–75 season McMordie was loaned out to Second Division Sheffield Wednesday for two months. During his time at Sheffield he played nine games and scored six goals in a struggling Wednesday side who were relegated to Division Three at the end of the season. Those six goals made McMordie Wednesday's top scorer that season. At the end of the loan spell, McMordie could not agree terms for a full transfer to Wednesday and returned to Middlesbrough.

McMordie signed for York City for the 1975–76 season, the team were relegated to Division Three in his first season and he was sold midway through his second season after making 42 league appearances and scoring two goals. He signed for Hartlepool United in December 1976, making 47 league appearances before deciding to retire early in the 1978–79 season.

Hugh Reed - Forward

Together with his friend Asa Hartford, Reed joined First Division club West Bromwich Albion from Drumchapel Amateur in 1967. He signed a professional contract the following year and made his professional debut in a league match versus Stoke City in November 1968. Opportunities on the wing were few and far between for Reed and he made just 10 appearances and scoring two goals before being released in November 1971.

Reed signed for Third Division club Plymouth Argyle for a £12,000 fee in November 1971. He scored eight goals in his first 10 games, but the goals would prove to be his only strikes in 27 appearances during the 1971–72 season. A barren spell in front of goal early in the 1972–73 season saw Reed lose his place in the team and he failed to make an appearance between December 1972 and April 1973. He showed better form during 1973–74, scoring three goals in seven games mid-season, but he was released at the end of the season. Reed made 58 appearances and scored 11 goals for the Pilgrims.

Reed joined Fourth Division strugglers Brentford on a one-month loan in October 1973. He played in four league defeats for the Bees. Reed signed for Fourth Division club Crewe Alexandra in July 1974. His first season at Gresty Road was the best of his career when he scored 9 goals in 41 league appearances. Reed only made six league appearances in the 1975–76 season before his release in October 1976. Reed made 47 league appearances and scored 9 goals for the Railwaymen.

After a trial period at Huddersfield Town, Reed had a short stint with Fourth Division club Hartlepool in October and November 1976, for whom he scored one goal in six appearances. After departing Hartlepool, Reed ended his career in non-league football with spells at Middlewich Athletic, Stafford Rangers and Shotton United, before retiring in 1982.

Graham Richardson - Goalkeeper

Richardson started his career at Darlington but moved to Hartlepool for the 1975/76 season. He made 97 appearances for Pools with his last being a 3-0 win over Tranmere Rovers in May of 1981.

John Rowlands - Defender/Forward

Liverpool-born John Rowlands had a nomadic early career, enjoying a spell in South Africa as well as turning out for seven English league clubs in seven seasons. In 1974 he joined the newly-formed Seattle Sounders in the North American Soccer League, finishing top scorer and being one of two Seattle players named in the NASL All-Stars team (the other being his future Pools teammate, goalkeeper Barry Watling). He joined Pools in 1975 and spent two seasons at the club, scoring eleven times. He continued to play in the NASL with the San Jose Earthquakes, Oakland Stompers, and the Tulsa Roughnecks.

Bobby Scaife - Midfield

Scaife began his career as an apprentice with Middlesbrough, turning professional in October 1972. However, he failed to make the Middlesbrough first team and made his league debut after joining Halifax Town on loan in January 1975.

Scaife joined Hartlepool United in September 1975 and went on to make 80 league appearances before joining Rochdale in October 1977 where he was to end his league career.

On leaving Rochdale, he joined Whitby Town where his father, Bob, was chairman, later playing for Scarborough, Guisborough Town, South Bank and Newcastle Blue Star.

Scaife's managerial career began with Whitby, where he won the Northern League title before taking over as manager of Dunston Federation Brewery in August 1997. He led Dunston to two league titles and five league cups before leaving at the end of the 2006–07 season.

In June 2007 Scaife took over as manager of Billingham Synthonia. He remained at the club until September 2008.

Bobby Scott - Defender

Scott was born in Liverpool and began his career with Welsh side Wrexham. Scott had spells with Reading, Hartlepool, and Rochdale before joining Crewe Alexandra. He spent seven years at Crewe making over 250 appearances before ending his career with a short spell back at Wrexham. He also played non-league football with Northwich Victoria.

Chris Simpkin - Midfield

Simpkin played for Hull City, Blackpool, Scunthorpe United, Huddersfield Town, Hartlepool and Scarborough. He also played one season on loan in the North American Soccer League with the Baltimore Comets.

Mick Spelman - Midfield

Spelman played as a midfielder in the Football League for Hartlepool United and Darlington. He was on the books of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Watford, without playing first-team football for either, and also played non-league football for Whitley Bay. He made 121 appearances for Pools scoring 4 goals.

Terry Turnbull - Forward

Turnbull made 14 appearances for Hartlepool starting with a League Cup loss to  Huddesfield Town in 1976 and ending with a loss to Barnsley in 1977. He scored 4 goals for Hartlepool in those 14 games. After his Spell at Pools he ended his playing days at Gateshead.

Tommy Veitch - Midfield

Veitch began his career with Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, turning professional with Heart of Midlothian in 1968. Veitch also played in Scotland for Greenock Morton, Airdrieonians and Queen of the South, in England for Tranmere Rovers, Halifax Town and Hartlepool United, and in the United States for the Denver Dynamos, before retiring from professional football in 1981. 

Dave Wiggett - Defender

Wiggett, a left-back, began his career at Lincoln City, making his first-team debut in 1974. He made only a handful of appearances for the Imps, and joined Hartlepool in October 1976, where he made his debut in a Division Four match against Colchester United. During his 18-month spell at Hartlepool, Wiggett played 60 matches for the club, and scored one goal. On 23 March 1978 Wiggett was killed in a car crash. He was a passenger in a car driven by a teammate.


The images above were taken from the scrapbooks of Alan Goad. Custom art was created by Paul Goad.

Alan’s career at Hartlepool started in 1967 after a brief apprenticeship stint at Exeter City. In the 11 years Alan spent at the club he collected programs, pictures, and newspaper clippings from the many matches he played in Hartlepool (418 in total). I am happy to share these memories so that Hartlepool Fans around the globe can enjoy a piece of history.

Alan Goad is still ranked 5th in games played at the club, ranked 1st in League Cup starts, and is the only player in the club’s history to see the club go through 3 name changes. His time with the club began with the celebration of their promotion into Division 3 but the 70’s were unkind with many relegation votes required to keep the club in the league.

Despite the club's luck and with very little money to be made Alan remained committed to the club, the fans, and the town of Hartlepool. He looks back fondly of his time at the club and the career he was fortunate to have.

Special Thanks:

Special thanks to Phil Dunn, Geoff Wilkinson and John Phillips for their contributions, guidance and wealth of knowledge on Hartlepool and their Club.

Information on the above mentioned players and teams was sourced from various locations including match programmes, newspaper articles, Wikipedia and the "In The Mad Crowd" website -

The inspiration for the kit designs is from John Devlins, "True Colors: The Football Kit History Site". His staggering work is featured in books, publications and various websites. Check out his amazing work -

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published