Team From The Past - Hartlepool - 1975/1976

Paul Bielby - Forward

As a young boy it was his ambition to play professional football for his fathers favourites Manchester United and as a 17 year old he made his first-team debut for United in the red hot atmosphere of a Manchester derby against City in front of 51,000 at Maine Road. He played for the England youth team winning the European Youth Cup with exciting young players such as Bryan Robson, Glen Hoddle, Ray Wilkins, Alan Curbushley and Peter Barnes.

His progress was halted with injuries and after playing nearly two hundred matches in the lower leagues with Huddersfield and Hartlepool.

He was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours for his services to young people.

Steve Crowther - Defender

Crowther made only 5 appearances for Hartlepool after coming from Stockport County. His first game was a 1-1 tie against Bournemouth in 1975 and his last in a 2-2 draw against Lincoln City

David Embleton - Defender

Embleton started his career with Newcastle in 1971 and moved to Bury one year later. He joined Hartlepool in 1973 and spent 3 seasons with Pools but was not a regular in the starting line-up. He made 27 appearances over the 3 seasons at Pools scoring no goals.

Barry Endean - Forward

Forward Barry Endean signed for Everton as a youngster but was released by the club. He returned to the professional game six years later with Watford. 

Endean was playing for a pub team, for whom he was a prolific goalscorer. In September of that year, he was spotted playing for an amateur team in a public park and was invited to sign for Watford of the Football League Third Division. He was soon a regular in the club's first team and, in January of the following year, he was part of the Watford team which held Manchester United, the reigning European Cup-holders, to a 1–1 draw in front of over 60,000 fans at Old Trafford in the third round of the 1968–69 FA Cup. He also scored the winning goal for the club against Liverpool in the sixth round of the 1969–70 FA Cup at Vicarage Road on 21 February 1970, covered by BBC Television's Match of the Day. In total he scored 28 goals for the "Hornets" in 77 Football League games, and helped the club gain promotion to the Second Division in the 1968–69 season.

In February 1971, Endean was transferred to Charlton Athletic of the Second Division, where he spent eight months. He made 27 League appearances for the London-based club, but only scored one goal. He dropped back down to the Third Division when he joined Blackburn Rovers in October 1971. He had a more successful spell with the Ewood Park-based club, registering 18 League goals in 75 appearances. In March 1975 he moved to Huddersfield Town, but played only 12 times for the club, scoring a single goal. In late 1975 he was loaned out to Workington of the Fourth Division. In March of the following year he moved on to Hartlepool United

He scored three goals in the run-in to help keep Pools out of relection danger. The following season saw Endean in and out of a Pools side that struggled badly in the league. He managed 15 more starts and added two goals to his tally.

Alan Goad - Defender/Midfield

Started his playing career with Exeter City before moving to Hartlepool in 1967. He was a young member of the promotion-winning side in 1967/68. Goad went on to make over 418 appearances scoring 11 goals for the club and is still ranked 5th in games played and still ranked 1st in League Cup Starts with 23. He played in every position and wore every number, except goalkeeper and is the only player in the club's history to be part of 3 name changes at the club (Hartlepools United, Hartlepool FC and Hartlepool United).

Alan was voted 'Player of The Season' in 1975 and was voted as a Player Of The Decade (1970's) along with Bill Green and Billy Ayre during the Club's Centennial Season in 2008. He was awarded a Testimonial Match in 1977 where Pools tied 2-2 with League Champions Nottingham Forest. In his final two seasons with Pools he was Player/Coach under Manager, Billy Horner and retired in 1978 before moving to Canada 

Alan resumed his playing career in 1980 when he was signed as Player/Coach for the Fraser Valley Allstars in Canada and then played two seasons for the Vancouver Whitecaps NASL Indoor team. He then resumed his coaching career with the Whitecaps Reserves and Youth Teams as well as running the Vancouver Whitecaps Coaching Camps.

John Honour - Forward

Honour was an apprentice at West Bromwich Albion before playing for Hartlepool United and Workington Town in the Football League. He made 112 appearances for Pool scoring 6 times. His final game for Hartlepool was April 7th 1973 in a 2-1 loss to Doncaster Rovers.

John Hope - Goalkeeper

Hope started his football career as an apprentice with Fourth Division club Darlington. After 14 league matches, Hope joined First Division club Newcastle United in March 1969 for an £8,000 fee. Hope made only one appearance in a little under two years with the club. Hope kept goal in a 1–0 defeat away to Manchester City on 5 May 1969. As an unused substitute, he was part of the Newcastle squad that won the 1968–69 Fairs Cup. 

In January 1971, Sheffield United exchanged striker John Tudor for Hope and forward David Ford. Hope went straight into the starting eleven, replacing former England international goalkeeper Alan Hodgkinson. He kept his place as Sheffield United went on to clinch promotion to the First Division at the end of the season, with a run of results that included seven consecutive clean sheets, a club record that stood until beaten by Mark Howard more than 40 years later.

After Peter Shilton injured a finger, Hope received a late call-up to the England under-23 squad for a January 1972 fixture against Wales, but Phil Parkes, originally selected as substitute for Shilton, played in the match. He received a second call-up to the U23 squad, again as understudy to Parkes with Shilton injured. He spent the 1975–76 season with Hartlepool United making 23 appearances in the Fourth Division including an epic FA Cup match against Manchester City, and then moved into non-league football with Whitby Town

Joe Jacques - Midfield

Jacques played for Preston North End, Lincoln City, Darlington, Southend United, Gillingham and Hartlepool, making over 300 appearances in the Football League

Kevin Johnson - Midfield

Johnson played as a midfielder in the Football League for Sheffield Wednesday, Southend United, Gillingham, Workington, Hartlepool United, Huddersfield Town and Halifax Town, and non-league football for Gateshead, during the 1970s and 1980s.

Johnson had to stints at Hartlepool, the first from 1974 to 1976 where he made 61 appearances scoring 8 goals. He then returned to Hartlepool in 1980 where he made 87 appearances scoring 3 goals.

Paul Luckett - Defender

Luckett initially signed with Coventry City but later moved to Halifax Town after failing to make the first team. He joined Hartlepool on loan in 1976, made his first appearance for Pools against Torquay United in a 1-1 draw and later signed for Pool full-time. In total, Luckett made 19 appearances for Hartlepool with his last being a 6-2 loss to Colchester United.

Tony Maggiore - Defender

Maggoirre made 31 appearances for Pools. He made his first-team debut in November of 1975 in a 4-1 win over Newport and played his last game in April 18th of 1977 in a 2-2 draw against Swansea City. He later went on to finish his career playing for Gateshead.

Kevin McMahon - Forward

McMahon started his professional career with York City where he made 93 appearances scoring 31 goals. In 1971 he was loaned to Bolton Wanderers and then signed for Barnsley in 1972. in 1973 He moved to Hartlepool where he scored 29 goals in 107 appearances with the club.

Malcolm Moore - Forward

Moore is an English footballer who played as a center-forward for Sunderland, Crewe Alexandra, Tranmere Rovers, Hartlepool United and Workington.

While at Hartlepool he scored 34 times in 129 appearances.

George Potter - Defender

Potter a Scottish defender who started his playing career with Forfar Athletic in Scotland before moving to Luton on March 6th 1968. He then spent two seasons with Torquay United. He moved to Hartlepool in 1971 where he made 242 appearances for Pools scoring 6 goals. Potter is most famously known for breaking his orbital bone after being head-butted by Dennis Tueart in a FA Cup against Manchester City. 

Graham Richardson - Goalkeeper

Richardson started his career at Darlington but moved to Hartlepool for the 1975/76 season. He made 97 appearances for Pools with his last being a 3-0 win over Tranmere Rovers in May of 1981.

John Rowlands - Defender/Forward

Liverpool-born John Rowlands had a nomadic early career, enjoying a spell in South Africa as well as turning out for seven English league clubs in seven seasons. In 1974 he joined the newly-formed Seattle Sounders in the North American Soccer League, finishing top scorer and being one of two Seattle players named in the NASL All-Stars team (the other being his future Pools teammate, goalkeeper Barry Watling). He joined Pools in 1975 and spent two seasons at the club, scoring eleven times. He continued to play in the NASL with the San Jose Earthquakes, Oakland Stompers, and the Tulsa Roughnecks.

Dave Rylands - Defender

Rylands started his career at Liverpool signing professional terms with the club when he was 17 years old in 1970. Rylands only made one appearance for Liverpool; he played in their 2–2 draw against Doncaster Rovers in the 1973–74 FA Cup. He went on to play for Hereford where he was loaned to both Newport County and Hartlepool. His playing career ended with a spell at FC Halifax Town

Bobby Scaife - Midfield

Scaife began his career as an apprentice with Middlesbrough, turning professional in October 1972. However, he failed to make the Middlesbrough first team and made his league debut after joining Halifax Town on loan in January 1975.

Scaife joined Hartlepool United in September 1975 and went on to make 80 league appearances before joining Rochdale in October 1977 where he was to end his league career.

On leaving Rochdale, he joined Whitby Town where his father, Bob, was chairman, later playing for Scarborough, Guisborough Town, South Bank and Newcastle Blue Star.

Scaife's managerial career began with Whitby, where he won the Northern League title before taking over as manager of Dunston Federation Brewery in August 1997. He led Dunston to two league titles and five league cups before leaving at the end of the 2006–07 season.

In June 2007 Scaife took over as manager of Billingham Synthonia. He remained at the club until September 2008.

Keith Skillen - Midfield

Skillen made only 7 appearances for Hartlepool, scoring 2 goals. His first match was a 1-1 draw with Bournemouth in 1975 and his last as a substitute in a 2-01 loss to Tranmere Rovers.

Dave Smith - Forward

Smith came to Hartlepool after spells at Cambridge, Halifax Town, Stockport County and Huddersfield Town. He made 42 appearances for Hartlepool scoring 13 goals.

Rob Smith - Defender

Smith signed with Hull and spent 3 years with the club failing to make his debut with the first-team. In 1971 he signed with Grimsby Town making 11 appearances. in 1972 Smith signed for Hartlepool where he made 152 appearances scoring 4 goals. He later moved to Scarborough where he played until 1979.

Mick Spelman - Midfield

Spelman played as a midfielder in the Football League for Hartlepool United and Darlington. He was on the books of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Watford, without playing first-team football for either, and also played non-league football for Whitley Bay. He made 121 appearances for Pools scoring 4 goals.


The images above were taken from the scrapbooks of Alan Goad. Custom art was created by Paul Goad.

Alan’s career at Hartlepool started in 1967 after a brief apprenticeship stint at Exeter City. In the 11 years Alan spent at the club he collected programs, pictures, and newspaper clippings from the many matches he played in Hartlepool (418 in total). I am happy to share these memories so that Hartlepool Fans around the globe can enjoy a piece of history.

Alan Goad is still ranked 5th in games played at the club, ranked 1st in League Cup starts, and is the only player in the club’s history to see the club go through 3 name changes. His time with the club began with the celebration of their promotion into Division 3 but the 70’s were unkind with many relegation votes required to keep the club in the league.

Despite the club's luck and with very little money to be made Alan remained committed to the club, the fans, and the town of Hartlepool. He looks back fondly of his time at the club and the career he was fortunate to have.

Special Thanks:

Special thanks to Phil Dunn, Geoff Wilkinson and John Phillips for their contributions, guidance and wealth of knowledge on Hartlepool and their Club.

Information on the above mentioned players and teams was sourced from various locations including match programmes, newspaper articles, Wikipedia and the "In The Mad Crowd" website -

The inspiration for the kit designs is from John Devlins, "True Colors: The Football Kit History Site". His staggering work is featured in books, publications and various websites. Check out his amazing work -

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez noter que les commentaires doivent être approuvés avant d'être publiés